Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ceilings

Wow, Lara!  After reading your last post, I wonder if maybe you and I could be opposite yet still very much alike!  I LOVE house guests who visit and stay up late talking and hanging out while I go about my activities!  I love tiny spaces!  In fact, one of my favorite vacation moments was squeezing through a tunnel in the base of a giant redwood tree, and finding myself inside a tiny damp wooden room.  And when we first drove into our neighborhood (while house hunting), I told my husband that I didn't care what the house looked like, I wanted to live in this neighborhood.  Huge sky-blocking cedars, a narrow one-lane dead-end road, it is as close as reasonably possible to living inside that giant redwood.

Earlier this week, I visited a neighbor in the evening, and was surprised by how bright the moon and stars seemed to be in her front yard.  As I was leaving, she pointed out that she had just taken down the giant cedar in the front yard, which explained why I could see the sky.  This tree was one of my favorites in the neighborhood, a tree that had its own rock wall built around it.  In exchange for this tree, however, my neighbor now has a new patch of sunlight, a rare treat in this neighborhood.



1 comment:

Lara said...

I think it's safe to say this is the first big difference of characters that's been discussed here! Oh no, crisis?

But at the same time what's been said about parallel lives is really true!

Small closed spaces make me anxious. I've never been in a cave, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable in one, even a big one. It drives me crazy to even have the curtains closed!