Friday, November 25, 2011

Thankful!

Turkey.  Our grandmother's sausage stuffing.  Green bean casserole, carrots, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy.  And a yeast bread, baked the same day, which usually seems too daunting a task when I'm not cooking so many other things (not that I cooked all those things by myself!)  And a cake (just to switch things up) and of course, pumpkin pie.  Oh, and the frozen cranberry "salad" (the creamy marshmallow kind) that I totally forgot about until dinner was over!  The kitchen transitions from organization to chaos and back again many times during the preparation of this meal.  Lara, are there any Finnish holidays which are so centered around cooking up one ridiculously huge meal?

3 comments:

'cil said...

At least at Christmas the feasting goes on for 3 days, but there isn't really any equivalent harvest festival in Finland. Even tho' we now have a big enough community of Americans who'd love to celebrate Thanksgiving, in practice our enthusiasm is tempered by the lack of the 4-day weekend. Probably the dark season is beginning to drain our energies as well. Is that frozen cranberry stuff the npr radio one Amy, or do you have another good recipe? Love the finish on the pie crust!

Lara said...

I've been wondering how anyone would find the energy to do all that kitchen work just a month before Christmas! But I didn't remember it's a four day weekend.

Amy said...

Actually, most people have to use a vacation day to take off Friday. But teachers (who are all I hang with) get not only all four days, but often a half-day on Wednesday after 2 long days of conferences.
The cooking is done over the course of a few days, and dinners on those days are quick and easy.
'Cil - I had no idea that recipe was from NPR! But of course I was raised by intellectual liberals, so it figures. But no, it wasn't that one, because horseradish isn't part of my kitchen!