Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ensimmäinen adventtisunnuntai










My greetings for the week are also from the kitchen. Finland doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, but we enjoyed a special candlelight breakfast on the first Sunday of advent. Rice porridge is a very traditional thing to eat here during Christmastime. The kids often complain about other porridges (something many Finnish parents like their children to eat all year), but they love this one. I'm sure part of the reason is the excitement about who gets the single lucky almond hidden in the porridge, but it also really is delicious, creamy and filling. Perfect with a sweet soup made of dried fruit and spices, or then simply with cinnamon and sugar. We also tried an exceptionally good malt bread, and I had made caramelized almonds the night before. That was because there was leftover melted sugar from the gingerbread house. Remind me to delegate assembling the gingerbread house next year! I almost lost my advent spirit doing that one.

I even managed to find a rice porridge recipe adapted to an American kitchen. I haven't tried this one, but why don't you! Remember to tell me how it turned out! And if you have kids, did they like it, and who got the almond!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, thank you for the recipe! I remember having a cold fruit soup in Finland, but I don't remember if it was made with dried or fresh fruit. Also, we buy sushi rice by the 50-lb sack in this family, so maybe I will make this soon! But tell me...in the picture in the link you attached, please tell me that is a big apricot and not a raw egg on top of the porridge!

Amy said...

One more thing...how did you get that beautiful pattern in the top of the gingerbread house? I love it!

Lara said...

So you never tried raw egg with porridge?

Yes, I took a long look at that picture too, wondering what it was. I hope it's an apricot! I usually use a dried fruit mix for the soup, but plain plum or raisin also works with christmasy spices. And you can also serve it warm.

I must admit I got that patten in a box! We bought the pieces ready-made.