Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Kuume, kakku, kirje ja 17 keltuaista





So the next morning after my last post I had a sore throat. And the next day a fever. It wasn't enough to get exhausted. I had to get sick to allow the baby to finally sleep overnight at his grandparents' (with his daddy), so I could get some proper sleep. I'm grateful we have a man in the family who will make sure the boy gets to go through his separation processes!

Until about Thursday having a party on the weekend seemed quite unlikely, but then we decided to try anyway. I don't know many good cake recipes, and I didn't want to make the same I always make, so I thought and thought what kind should it be. I finally realized it had to be an angel food cake for my little angels! I had never made an angel food cake before, so can you imagine my despair when I realized in process, the night before the party, how complicated it was! It will be a while before I ever try that one again...

But with the generous help of family we managed to pull it through, and were happy that we did. It was the combined birthday party of all our children.

Now I have 17 egg yolks left over from the cake, waiting for me to put them to use. I guess I'm going to have to make the biggest hollandaise sauce ever and distribute it to all of our relatives. Any other suggestions?

(Oh yes, one special highlight from last week was a real old-fashioned letter from a friend. A piece of nice paper with unique handwriting folded in an envelope with a stamp on it! How enjoyable! That's one practice I would like to return to a world dominated by social media.)

3 comments:

whereshaldo said...

Lemon Curd, which would keep
Ice Cream
Creme Brulee
Carbonara

whereshaldo said...

Actually, let me change that. Lemon curd, but made with Cloudberries!

Start with this recipe, substituting the fruit. http://cookalmostanything.blogspot.com/2008/05/lemon-curd.html

Lara said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Thanks!

Creme brulee is one of my favorites, but I've never actually made it.

I also wasn't too impressed with the angel food cake, or at least not this particular one, so I continue to know only two cake recipes that I'll make again and again (carrot and chocolate). I'd be happy to know of any all-time favorites that run in your family!