Sunday, October 30, 2011

Lokakuu







Today I'm going to make an exception and post pictures I didn't take. This is what our kitchen floor looked like a week ago. This winter it will be heated instead of freezing cold! My husband did it all by himself, even all of the electric wiring. He also did the photography except for the last two pictures. I was too stressed out by the conditions to come to think of taking out the camera. Everything including furniture, dishwasher, stove, and fridge had to be removed. Since those everyday things you take for granted were missing (well, the fridge was on, but it was in the hallway), I deeply appreciated the fact that we at least had warm running water in the whole house. Our mothers helped by taking care of the girls for a few days and my father-in-law gave us his time and experience and spent two days helping with the project.

Here are a few other things that have happened during October:

- all three kids have been sick for a full month, 1-3 at a time, meaning doctor visits and badly slept nights
- one of them had a birthday
- I went to a class reunion and got to give a summary of my adult life to at least a dozen people
- my daughter started orthodontic treatment that will last for at least a year
- the same daughter had a gymnastic performance and I spent hours sewing hundreds of sequins to her outfit
- we have been trying to get the baby used to finally sleeping in his own bed, in the hopes that he would then wake up less during nights
- last week I only got a few hours sleep several nights in a row, meaning I had to rest during nap time to survive, meaning nothing else got done

So here is reason for our exhaustion and for skipping last Monday's post. We've been taking it easy this weekend and I feel slightly better. Next  weekend we are throwing a birthday party. Oh please, may no one else get sick this week!

4 comments:

whereshaldo said...

Your radiant flooring systems look so much better than ours -- jealous! How long did it take to do? Is its hot water or electric?

Amy said...

Wow, just reading and imagining all that made me exhausted! The sheet metal is just beautiful, though - I want to line the inside of a bookshelf with it!
Hope the weeks to come are much less stressful!

Lara said...

It's just electric, water would be better. The kitchen is tiny, only about 12 square meters, and it took about two days to do it, plus careful planning in advance.

Lara said...

My husband corrected this: only 8 square meters of the actual floor. I'm talking really tiny here! Especially considering that I'm usually wading in a sea of toys while cooking!