Friday, November 12, 2010

Debris

Lara, I'm not afraid to show off my construction mess!  This delightful scene is our living room, which has looked like this for about 2 weeks.  And the centerpiece, tottering on a homemade wood frame, is our 500-lb pellet stove, which is really the only central heat we have in our house.  To the right of the fireplace you can see the gaping hole (covered with a sheet) that leads to our uninsulated addition.  The gist of my story is that this house is COLD!  I don't know about Finns, but most people I know around here keep their homes at least 68F (20C), and while I have grown used to the house being 10 degrees colder (except in the vicinity of the tiny space heater we finally broke down and got), our guests (especially the ones from Hawaii) appear over-bundled and unhappy! 
I will spare you the construction details, but when my husband ripped out the old flexible pipe that ran up the chimney, it ripped and piled on our floor like a crazy metal ribbon.  He had the good sense to know that I might want to do something with it.
After meditating on it for a week, I remembered some scrap yarn that I had bought last year.  I sat down and started experimenting.  When this is done, I think it will hang over the fireplace, close to its original home!

No comments: