Thursday, May 17, 2012

Garden tour

Finally, some sun and heat....wait, too much!  Last week we had two days of 85 degree (29.4C) weather, 20 degrees above average for May.  My mom has been in town, and completely sidetracked my plans for ignoring my garden this year.  We reinforced the borders, brought in new soil, used some cinder blocks to shore up the lowest wall, and for Mother's Day, my parents surprised me with enough marigolds to fill each of the cinder block holes.  And my child had to wear his 'work boots' (a.k.a. extra warm snow boots) to help us out!  Whew!
The heat wave brought to life every blossoming thing in this yard, so it is beautiful and fragrant now, and inspired me to do a little unplanned compulsive nursery shopping.  This year my garden will be much more scaled back, but I really am focusing on tomatoes, which completely failed last year due to the lack of heat.  I really hope this warm May is a sign of a good tomato summer.










2 comments:

Lara said...

Your tomatoes are doing so much better than ours - ours aren't even outdoors yet!

Our lilacs look promising though! They will be coming along in a couple of weeks.

'cil said...

85 is pretty hot for us... and for heavy gardening, winter boots and lilacs, methinks :) Your Mom thrives in it tho, so I can just imagine what a good time you had!

We are going to hit the low 70s this week which is perfect for me and all the end-of-the-school year activities.

Here's to lots of juicy, ripe tomatoes this summer!