Monday, January 2, 2012

Virtaa vailla

I know it's a little late for a Christmas retrospective, but here goes...


On the 26th and 27th the worst storm of the past decade swept over Finland. It effected us by power failures that went off and on in cycles of a few hours during these days, but there are areas in Finland that are still without power. There's an amazingly long list of things that become impossible during a blackout, including warm meals, coffee, phone recharging, warm bedtime milk for the little one, light (!), heating, internet, radio and tv. I assure you I feel the impact of the darkness every day, but I had no idea how black our nights are. When the power went out in the whole neighborhood, you couldn't see your own hand. Great star watching though!

It left me wondering about a couple of things. How in the world did our ancestors manage to inhabit a land with winters like this? And in times before electricity, what did children of the North do all through the dark months?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Well, you send your husband on a wild goose chase to go find a generator in the middle of the night! (Or is that just me?) What a wild time! I hope you at least had a drawer full of candles and matches!

'cil said...

It was quite a storm and quite an experience in this country where usually everything just works like it's supposed to. My power was out for about 36 hours altogether, but I had friends nearby who had power.

That sky on the 27th was amazingly beautiful! Venus was also visible over to the right of the moon.

Lara said...

I forgot to mention fridge and freezer.