Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pimientos de Padrón

These peppers have long been my favorite splurge at our amazing downtown farmer's market.  I found them this spring while seed shopping, and though I am quite the novice gardener, I couldn't resist.  The packet made it clear that these peppers need plenty of heat to grow, so they needed to be started indoors in the spring.  Luckily I had enough sense to plant a test batch, because they all died.  As did the second test batch.  The third batch had a few survivors, and only six have become actual living, producing plants.

The interesting thing about these peppers is that they are known as a culinary Russian roulette; most are sweet and completely mild, while the occasional few will be insanely hot.  So far I have had 14...all mild!  Honestly, I really don't want them spicy - the mild ones are so good!  You just fry them in olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  But it would be a little satisfying to get just one spicy one, once!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, my favorite...love, love, love. Sabrina

Amy said...

Yes, I have you to thank for introducing me! Hoping to get a few more before the end of whatever you call this season!

whereshaldo said...

you need to roast them more. try grilling then sautee quickly in a little oil. also, see if you can find maldon sea salt. the crystals don't dissolve and add some crunch. -h