Monday, September 12, 2011

Päivä kerrallaan, myötävirtaan




There are mornings when the rising sun embraces the kitchen in a heavenly light show that only lasts a few minutes. I am clinging to these moments of sunlight, as day by day we move closer to the darkest time of year when the sun will only rise for about six hours a day. The fact that we hardly got any rest this past summer makes the approaching darkness a little overwhelming. Our mornings and evenings are already clearly darker: it's no longer light at 6 am when the first members of the family get up, and there's no light to do anything outside after children's bedtime. The only comfort I find in this is that it means we are also moving towards baby's first birthday, and I hope that life beyond that date will gradually start getting a little easier. I've never experienced having a one-year-old and a three-year-old in the house at once, but I imagine it must be easier than having a baby and a two-year-old. Any of you readers have something to say on the subject? Every now and then I see a baby who is happy to just sit and observe, but that's something I've never known of. My babies have all been the high-maintenance kind - little sleep and often restless and discontent in between. But the first two did eventually learn to amuse themselves, and yes, even sleep, and are nowadays such bright and gifted individuals! So I take courage in this and say bring on the dark season. Day by day and go with the flow. Besides, there are still many brilliant autumn days ahead.

No comments: