Friday, October 29, 2010

Mään tarina

This is the story of Mää! (That's what sheep say in Finland. Ä is pronounced as the A in Baa!)

The story began when Miau (Meow that is) became Mää. I was making a cat hat like this for my daughter, but the first version of it shrunk too much while I was felting it.

So I turned it upside down and added felt straps and a zipper. Then I started carrying my little new purse everywhere I went. Time passed and it received many compliments. So I thought maybe someone else would like to have one too.


Introducing the Mää-bag! They are all knit from new wool and then felted in our washing machine. The straps are also 100% wool and made by a Finnish felt factory. Sizes range from 14 x 22 cm (5,5 x 9 inches) to 21 x 28 cm (8 x 11 inches). That's quite small, so it only holds your most precious little things. Great for evenings! Besides the washing machine part, Mää is completely hand made, even zippers are sewn on by hand. Prices will be around 30 euros.

Then I got bored with the rectangular shape and did some experimenting.



These babies will hold a little more than the original Mää. The diameter of the round part is around 16 cm (6,5 inches) and they are about 17-21 cm (7-8,5 inches) tall.

If anyone is interested in having a Mää of their own, I'll be selling them on a market place for crafts called Taitomaa. It's the Finnish version of Etsy, nice and small, and works in English too! (I'll get back to you on that.)

I'm also working on a Mää series from recycled wool. They will be accompanied by Ihahaa-bags (that's Finnish horse language). Those bags still need a final touch, so that part of the story will continue on another Friday.

Not even getting close to The End!

No comments: