Friday, May 14, 2010

Ensimmäinen kesäpäivä




We moved to this house last November. The yard that was so bare at the time is now beginning to feel like a completely new acquaintance. When things started growing, I wasn't even sure what all of them are. This was one of the mysteries, one first discovered by my older daughter. About a month after it appeared, my mother-in-law said it is rhubarb, and now, a couple more weeks later, I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be pie coming up shortly!

It was the first truly summery day in May. We went from shivering to bare feet in a week, and our Northern skin is not ready for the intensity of this sun. There was a strange crackling kind of sound in the air all afternoon. I kept looking for the origin of it, and (unable to come up with a rational explanation) I finally just decided it's the sound of the leaves bursting out. We spent hours outside, and she ate too many cookies.

No comments: