Tuesday, January 22, 2013

... and yet a little colder

Amy, you are entitled to your complaints about cold! Your cold and my cold mean different temperatures. We grew up in different cultures of cold, and those cultural issues are part of what I hope makes this Finnish-American space of ours interesting! For me, cold is easier to deal with than rain, especially when cold is compensated by clear skies. We have had plenty of those recently, and this is what the rest of the week looks like. Last week we experienced colder than -20 degrees Celcius (below -5 Fahrenheit), which is exceptional even here, but you must have learned by now that even in temperatures like that life just keeps on rolling. Kids go to school, grown-ups go to work, the most resilient do outdoor sports, and little children play outside, if even for a short while. Practices vary, but in my daughter's school kids always go outside for recess, even on days like these, at least for a few minutes. One of the things I love most about cold is thick natural ice on the sea. Of course it is most enjoyable on sunny February days of about -5 C (23 F). Those days are not far away! These pictures are from a day of about -10 C (14 F).

4 comments:

Lara said...

I have a new laptop, and the reason I mention this is that the screen seems to be much darker on this new one. I took my picutres through Photoshop on the old computer and they looked fine there, but here they give the impression of an extremely downcast day! The snow was actually white on the other screen! Does this set look dark to you?

'cil said...

Nice, but yes, they look dark to me.

Amy said...

I can't really say, it doesn't look bright white, but the pictures are absolutely gorgeous either way. It didn't occur to me that the sea had frozen! I was going to ask what all the strange lines or wires were! What a magical place that must be right now! Thankfully we are back to normal, no sun, but the dense fog felt pretty good this morning-I must be part frog!

Lara said...

Thanks, but now I wonder have I been posting dark pictures for a really long time? Better adjust the screen brighness!

Amy, I remember what you said about being a Hobbitt! Dense fog and low ceilings... I'm so light-dependant that I'll take any conditions that come with abundant natural light! How cold did it get when you were making your ice lanterns?