Friday, November 30, 2012

Lumimyrsky


Last time I complained about the darkest time of the year: decreasing light and no snow to brighten up our surroundings. This week winter arrived, and with what force! We have had almost nonstop snow since Wednesday, and certainly by today it can be called a real blizzard. Last night my daughter and I participated in a small event in our town that marks the beginning of the Christmas season. I set up a table at the local market place to present a selection of my creations, and my daughter's class raised money by selling Christmas cards they had illustrated themselves. Those were truly Nordic market conditions! A few times the kids had to go running after cards blown away by the gusty wind, and my poor products got snowed on! It was fun, but what bliss to return to the warmth of our home.

Today I was happy I could stay inside all day. I did dare to briefly run out for some picture for you, but I could hardly see anything, let alone expose the camera to more than a few seconds of this weather at a time! The rest of Finland kept rolling as usual. Kids went to school and no question about it, there's someone coming home from work in the last picture, and can you find the picture where kids are out with their sleds? All but the first picture with Snow White were taken just when it was getting dark after 3 pm, so the blue tone is intentional. In Finland this is called the "blue moment" (sininen hetki).

How exciting to welcome December tomorrow! For some thoughts about the Finnish advent time, please check the comments to Amy's last post!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow, your winter rolled in just when our winter (of rain) rolled in! Earlier this week, the mountain had a fresh blanket of snow, and with the full moon and clear weather, you could see the moon glowing at night. Of course, this lasted only until the night BEFORE our cousin arrived to visit! Stay warm, Lara!