Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Aineksia


The ingredients of my Sunday am hours are often cooking lunch, the Orthodox mass on the radio, and occasionally entertaining myself with my camera while cooking. I'm not Orthodox, but my grandfather was, and the sound of the liturgy simply appeals to me. Maybe living in Russia for a year in my early adulthood also has something to do with it, and on the other hand the mass just happens to be on air just before our lunchtime.

I just love the ingredients of this recipe I stumbled upon last week, so I had to give it a try. In Finland, this recipe has become so popular (or famous, really) during the past autumn that in some areas stores have run out of avocado, basil, and the required cheeses. I couldn't find pecorino cheese, so I doubled the parmesan, but next time I'll try replacing it with goat's cheese. I also sautéed the garlic though I wasn't supposed to, because raw garlic doesn't suit me. I was pretty happy with the outcome! Here's the original recipe in Finnish. My regrets that I couldn't find it in English, but try using some kind of translator, and if that doesn't work out, let me know and I'll do the work. If you appreciate a good vegetarian dish, you should try this one!

Well it seems that we are now both posting every other week instead of on alternate weeks, but I just might have something in store for next week, so hopefully our confusion will get straightened out then!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ohhh, I love recipes like this! I found a translation here: http://kitcheninthenorth.blogspot.com/2012/09/avocado-pasta.html

Can't wait to try it!

Lara said...

Thanks for finding that! It looks fine otherwise, but the Finnish version includes 30 g parmesan in addition to the 30 g pecorino.

The edited version of the original recipe also makes a big deal about cooking the pasta. The cook says it's one of his favorite subjects! Make sure the pasta is not past al dente (boil only 80 % of the suggested time) and that the water used for boiling is so salty it tastes like sea water. Amy, I'm sure you knew this already!