Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kotitöitä

Most days I'm overwhelmed by housework, especially the number of hours I need to spend in the kitchen preparing meals and cleaning up after them. I wouldn't mind it as much if the kitchen was on the sunny side of the house, so I could make the most of all this abundant light that is nursing away our state of deprivation which developed over the winter. But day after day I find myself standing on the North side much longer than I would like. To make it more complicated, my younger children are at an age when "helping" is a favorite activity. The truth is, though, that their "help" often creates even more mess, and that we could move on to enjoy the lovely day outdoors a little sooner, if they would just get out of the way for a minute. One solution is to take the "helping mess" outside. It's astonishing how participating in real or even almost-real work brightens their spirits, and I don't have to dry the floor afterwards. It also helps to get out the vintage aprons (and if anyone recognizes them, I hope you don't mind we are using them)! Now, ready for some vigorous dish washing?
 
The room where I blog is also on the North side of the house, which is disturbing my blogger's enthusiasm a bit. So if you don't hear from me, I'm probably prioritizing my maximum dosage of light. I'll still try to check in with you every week, but for the rest of the summer it's going to be whenever!

3 comments:

'cil said...

...vintage toys, vintage dish towels, vintage baby bottle. You got a whole lot of vintage going on there. It took awhile to figure out where exactly they were working :)

Amy said...

Yes, 'Cil, even I noticed the wood is not the same as other pictures of the deck I have seen. Little mysteries! The boy wants to come wash dishes too....he asked me if it would be a long drive to get there!

Lara said...

You know we love vintage! The play kitchen for the day was set up on the cover of the sandbox (we cover it when it's not being used to keep cats out), and I'm sure that cover was also built of vintage something!