Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Merellä

So I posted dark pictures last time, did I? Instead of having the patience (or time) to re-edit them, I decided to go for a whole new try. So back on the ice I went, this time on a bright February afternoon which I talked about in my last post. With the sun out and no wind, the weather didn't feel cold at all, and Amy, I think you would have agreed. I wish we could go for brunch and then skating here! It was the perfect winter day to be out on the sea, and as you can see, a few other people also though so.
















It was fun to watch people using every imaginable kind of equipment to move on the ice: skates, skis, kick-sleds, bikes pulling sleds, baby carriages... did you spot them all? Sunborn Princess, by the way, is a cruiser that is used as part of the local spa's hotel services. It is anchored next to the spa all year round. We have decided to treat the kids to a night in the Princess as part of our winter vacation!

3 comments:

Lara said...

So are my screen brightness adjustments better now?

Amy said...

These do look lovely and bright! I honestly can't remember the last time I walked on a frozen pond, much less the sea! I assume this happens every year? What does the '10' mean? And is there any limit to how far out you can explore?

Lara said...

This happens most years, unless it's a particularly warm winter. Will have to ask hubby what the '10' means! They make these routes with a kind of motor vehicle, so as long as they are driving out there, it is reasonably safe. One should always be prepared to fall through the ice though, especially if venturing further out or in otherwise unpredictable areas. It's recommended to wear a pair of special spikes on a cord behind your neck that are used to get a grip on the ice in an emergency.