Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mustikka






Come July, most Finnish people go crazy over strawberries. But I have to say I find blueberry even more appealing. It's the ultimate superfood that has even been used for medicinal purposes. No preservatives, remains of pesticides, or artificial anything! When I stop to think about it, it just blows my mind that such a berry grows abundantly and completely naturally in my own yard - all I have to do is gather it. And that is such a wholesome experience that can be enjoyed through all the senses! The scents of the earth, the sounds of nature. The perfect smoky shade of blue that turns purple in your hands. And of course the taste. Picking blueberries is one of the most relaxing things I know of. In fact, I'm sure gathering blueberries for your family must have something to do with the meaning of life! I'm only sad that now that it's a good year, I don't have time to gather it all! Not from the yard, not to speak of the nearby forests. Blueberry time is almost over, but lingonberries will be ripening shortly. For them I'm going to have to move beyond our yard, at least for bucketfuls of them.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wild blueberries in your YARD???? Unbelievable! The only berries we have are blackberries, which are delicious but attached to long thorny vines. And blueberries are my husband's favorite...maybe we will get there someday after all!