Saturday, July 2, 2011

Meat!

One of the things I love about the NW is that so many people are incredibly aware of the environmental, social, and health impacts of our everyday choices.  One of the big movements around here is striving not just to eat more organically, but to eat more locally-sourced foods.  Left on my own, I think I would fall back to my old vegetarianism, but my family wants meat.  Around here, buying organic meat at a grocery store is very expensive - prohibitively so for this one-income family.  It turns out my neighbor's sister raises a few cows and sells meat at an incredibly affordable price!  It's not technically organic, but these are free-wandering non-injected cows that I can visit less than ten miles down the road.  (No, I cannot stomach visiting them!) 
And then, to top it all off, while at a local folksy-music jam session I frequent, a local egg farmer brought dozens of eggs to share!  He sells at the local farmer's market, and I will be sure to support him from now on.
I won't go on about local beer....

And I too am reserving the right to post as erratically as our sunny days allow!  Happy summer, finally!!


1 comment:

whereshaldo said...

what cut is that brick? i think that may be the rare steak-um cut.