Friday, February 18, 2011

Citrus

Thank goodness for citrus.  I still don't understand why this summery-feeling fruit arrives during the most miserable post-holiday depths of winter.  Is there another fruit that completely comes and goes during the winter months?  In February, it seems many like-minded foodie-types go crazy over the arrival of Meyer lemons, myself included.  In addition to being sweeter than a regular lemon, the peel is thin and soft like leather, and has a perfumey scent and flavor that is completely unique, like a tropical flower.  I have three things I make to enjoy these lemons: the juice goes into lemon bars or lemonade concentrate for the freezer, and the peels get made into limoncello, an Italian lemon liqueur.  Last year was actually my first time making limoncello, but it is fairly simple to make and most importantly, doesn't allow a single peel to go to waste.  Fortunately, I still have some of last year's batch in the freezer, so I won't be impatient over waiting three months for this year's batch!
 
 

No comments: